Saturday, June 28, 2008

Aishwarya gets busy in Hollywood

While she has been taking it easy following the release of Jodhaa Akbar, Aishwarya Rai is geared up for a busy year ahead. And it’s not just Bollywood that we are talking about.

Aishwarya Rai Hot
The Bachchan bahu will be seen in some big budgeted Hollywood films starting next year.

Her first big release next year is the truly international Pink Panther 2 which is slated for a February 2009 release. “Pink Panther 2 definitely was a super experience.
It was a great ensemble cast…Steve Martin is an institution in himself and we have been entertained by him for a while by his cinema! So it was very exciting and a lot of fun,” says the actress.
Aishwarya says that her name is attached to various films in the West right now but that doesn’t necessarily mean that she will be in each and every one of them.
“They work a little differently in the West where they have scripts, where stars get attached to scripts. And then it can roll out within two months or it can take a year… like recently when the strike came up and then that threw a lot of productions lopsided about when which film would actually roll out. So it’s different than how we work here… Here we get attached to films sometimes for as long as 4 or 5 years and then once everyone’s dates are available together the film goes on the floors,” explains Rai.
“So after that there is a film called Green Lit and then another called Singularity which I have been attached to for a couple of years. But it was all a case of bringing it all together. So for next year it’s Green Lit and they have asked for my availability and dates. I’ve just got the latest drafts of it and I will be reading it again so that I am sure yes I want to do it. And then we will check on the schedule to see how much time can be committed to it,” she says.
And then there is one of the most awaited films – the one where she shares screen space with acclaimed Hollywood actress Meryl Streep.
“In terms of the one with Meryl Streep it’s called Chaos. It was made in French and they are now working on the English adaptation. It’s going through re-writes as well. Both of us as actors had heard the idea and agreed to be a part of it. So therefore we are attached to it. And let us see when they say they are ready to roll and they are fixed on all the factors that come to making a film and then I will look on my dates and availability,” she says optimistically.
There was also a buzz that Aishwarya would appear on the hit television serial Heroes.

“Yes there was a talk about it. They were just enquiring about my interest factor and it would have had to be brought in as a guest role because I would not be able to attach myself to a TV series because of my film commitment. So there was a check on the possibilities and then the strike kicked in so it was stuck half way,” she explains.
But one can’t help but question whether her roles in these films will be as major as say they were in Bride and Prejudice – a film that was essentially set on an Indian girl. As far as Pink Panther 2 is concerned, the actress finds a mention well below top actors Steve Martin, Andy Garcia and even Heroes actor Yuki Matsuzaki.
So the big question is are these roles similar to those that she commands in Bollywood today or are they going to be blink and you miss appearances?

“From the time I have done my first English film which is not so long ago… Bride and Prejudice … I have always maintained that I wouldn’t want to dub it like I’m working in Hollywood. I’ve just expanded my career as an actor like I’ve worked in Tamil and Bengali films. I’ve worked in a couple of English films and I’m glad because the work it found me and enriched me as an actor in terms of experience. And as far as Pink Panther is concerned it was a great ensemble cast...There’s Andy Garcia, John Cleese, Yuki, Jeremy Irons, Emily Mortimer, Jean Reno. So it was a huge cast. And it’s Pink Panther! It’s a fun franchise… its not intense acting in terms of an acting piece but it’s a fun film. And we all had a great time filming it!” exclaims Aishwarya.

0 comments: